CAMP SOS 2017
MAY 5, 6, and 7, 2017
HELPING FAMILIES, REBUILDING LIVES...One Camper at a Time!
Camp SOS is a family weekend camp for families that have lost a loved one to suicide. Families are defined by who is "family" for you. There have been attendees from 6 to 96 years old and from all over the state of Georgia. Camp is held in the Spring, at Camp Twin Lake’s - Will-a-Way, in Ft. Yargo State Park, Winder, GA.
A loss by suicide forever changes lives, but having access to tools that support the journey can help. Camp SOS gives survivors support to help them travel this journey ina safe environment.
Every suicide leaves an average of six survivors. There are few resources to help these children, teens, and their families cope with the traumatic grief and loss. This resources can make a huge difference by giving them:
- Access to a "neutral, safe space" to have fun together in a place where it's OK to express grief.
- Support from trained facilitators and volunteers (many of whom are survivors) who help campers listen, play, and talk through their feelings.
- An opportunity to explore their grief and find new ways to interact and cope as a family.
- Field Sports
- Arts & Crafts
- Ropes Course
- Paddle Boats, Canoeing and Kayaking
- Family Activities
- Breakout activities by age
- and much more!
Each family has their own area in a shared/partitioned cabin. Attendance is limited to 30 families. This program has been developed with fun family oriented activities as well as helping and healing activities to support the grief of all members of the families.
A Camper said, "after an hour of camp, it was clear that we were in a safe place, where we knew everyone understood and we had more healing than all the things we had tried since losing our son."
VISIT THE OFFICIAL CAMP SOS WEBSITE HERE!
Volunteer/sponsorship opportunities, contact Sheri HERE
Yellow Cabin; Camp SOS Campers 2013; Our Peace Fire; Memory Flags